Monday 28 March 2011

Fear not, till Birnam wood Do come to Dunsinane



Dunsinane Cairn


Fortunately there was no hubble, bubble, toil or trouble for me today as I set off in the sun on a bit of a pilgrimage which, as well as taking in Kings Seat, would take in the above mentioned Dunsinane Hill in the Sidlaws just outside Dundee.

The car was duly abandoned at the designated abandonment spot just outside Collace village which looked directly up the path towards Dunsinane. now for those of you who are reading this is far flung places like Carnoustie (you know who you are!!) this is the site of an iron age hill fort and the supposed site of MacBeth's castle where it was prophesied that he would never vanquished be until Birnam wood comes to high Dunsinane. This came to fruition when King Malcolm's soldiers chopped down the trees in Birnam wood and marched the 12 miles (as the crow flies) to the said Dunsinane! So, history/literature lesson over, this really is a splendid example of a hill fort which is a relatively easy hill climb.
Black Hill from Dunsinane
Once I'd wandered round the said fort, I descended into the saddle between Dunsinane and Black Hill with the intention of climbing to the summit of Black Hill however, no matter where I looked there was what could only be described as a helluva steep climb in front of me! So, I circumnavigated the back of Black Hill and almost disappear knee high in heather. At this point, due to wearing my shorts, I became a little paranoid of sheep tics!! This paranoia resulted in me deviating from the planned way by a considerable distance! fear not, I found my way back to the straight and narrow- not before almost squashing copulating toads!

Bit by bit I made my way up to the trig point on the summit, regularly stopping to feast on the beauty of the Tay valley to the south and the Valley of Strathmore and Grampians to the north- how much more beautiful the world looks when the sun is out!

Looking east to Craigowl
Upon reaching the summit, I placed the obligatory rock on the cairn, a cairn which has considerable sentimental value to me- but that is for another day! I suddenly realised how difficult it is to set the timer and balance a mobile phone on a cairn to take photos!! After numerous "sky with the top of my head" shots I finally succeeded!

The descent was equally as beautiful, traversing the northern slopes of Kings Seat down an old track which led to crossing some fields and carefully ignoring the sheep!

Yet again, another stunning walk! Oh what a joy to feel completely at one with the world and with life! The hills are possibly the best therapy in the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment